Contact Information

Full Name required.
Email required.

Information Request

Topic required.
Office required.
Subject required.
Request required.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where can I find more information about water data?

    CDSS Online Tools search for water data.

  • I have a well that is permitted for use inside one single family dwelling but I'd like to use it for additional uses. Where do I start?

    The Beginner's Guide to Augmentation Plans For Wells will help you get started.

  • When is the next Board of Examiners Meeting?

    The BOE meeting schedule can be found here.

  • I'm new to the area. Where do I find a driller?

    Lists of currently licensed contractors by city, company, name, or number can be found here

  • Who are the members of the Board of Examiners?

    The current BOE members can be found here.

  • Where can I find contacts for Dam Safety?

    Contact information for Dam Safety Engineers can be found on the staff contacts page for their home Division Office.

  • What is the Denver Basin and where is it located?

    The Denver Basin is a series of layered bedrock aquifers containing usable groundwater located along the Front Range reaching generally from Greeley on the north to Colorado Springs on the south, and from the Foothills on the west to Limon on the East. You can see a map of the aquifers here. For information on the Denver Basin, click here.

  • Who can withdraw water from the Denver Basin Aquifer?

    The owner of land that overlies the Denver Basin aquifer or a party that has obtained proper consent from the overlying land owner. For more information, click here.

  • Can I use MapViewer on my cell phone?

    Yes, MapViewer is HTML 5 compatible. So, it works on cell phones and tablets. It will even use your device’s GPS to locate you in the software.

  • Can I collect rainwater on residential properties?

    The Rainwater Collection folder contains documents explaining the conditions where this is allowed.

  • Where can I search for a well permit?

    CDSS Online Tools has an extensive well permit search. Click here.

  • How do I change the name on a well permit?

    You can learn how to change the name on a well permit here.

  • Where can I find more information about well contractor licensing?

    The CWWCA website offers information on education, searching members, becoming a member, and more.

  • How can I find water rights transactions?

    You can use CDSS Online Tools Water Rights - Transactions search tool.

  • How can I find groundwater level data by street address?

    CDSS Online Tools allows you to search by many options. Go to the Groundwater - Water Levels search page.

  • Where do I submit a well construction variance request?

    Requests for Well Construction Variances can be made by filling in the AskDWR Variance Request Form. Be sure to attach your detailed variance request and a diagram.

  • How do I submit a log waiver request?

    Make your request by filling in the AskDWR Geophysical Log Waiver Request Form.

  • How do I file a complaint against a contractor?

    Follow the Complaint Process & Procedure document.

  • How do I Prepare For a Hearing Before the Ground Water Commission?

    See the white paper The Non-Lawyers' Guide to Hearings before the Colorado Ground Water Commission.

  • Where is the Colorado Division of Water Resources (DWR) located?

    Please visit our Contact Pages for the Denver Office location as well as locations throughout the state (Listed by City and River Basin).

  • What information do I need to know in order to find a well permit?

    The permit number is the preferred search to find a well permit. Otherwise, a complete legal description and history of ownership on the property is needed.

  • Where can I get the Section, Township, and Range or legal description for my property?

    Look up your property address with the County Tax Assessor to obtain your full legal description.

  • How can I get a copy of a well permit on your website?

    Use DWR's Well Permit Search Tool.

  • How far back do your well permit records go?

    Well permit records include all water wells drilled after 5/8/1972. They also include many wells that were late registered that were in use prior to that timeframe. Through the process of property sales and well replacement applications more of these historic wells are becoming registered in our records.

  • How do I contact Water Court?

    Contact information for each Divisional water court is accessed by selecting a Water Division from the By Division options in the Colorado State Judicial Branch's Water Courts section.

  • Where can I find information on Hemp, Cannabis and Marijuana, related to water usage in Colorado?

    Information on Hemp, Cannabis and Marijuana can be found here.

  • How can I obtain Water Rights Ownership Information?

    The Division of Water Resources does not require that ownership or transfers of ownership of water rights or shares in ditches be submitted to our office and we are not aware of any general requirement that this information be recorded as a public record. As a result, the Division of Water Resources does not have official records of water right or ditch share ownership transfers.

  • Where can I find the Division Engineer's 2020 Abandonment List?

    The Division Engineer's 2020 Abandonment Lists can be accessed on here. There are pdfs by division and a sortable spreadsheet for all of Colorado.

  • Where can I find more information about streamflow, reservoir and diversion stations?

    Streamflow, reservoir and diversion station information can be found using the Stations tool.

  • Where can I find real-time water data that is mobile-friendly?

    Use the Stationslite tool to access real-time water data in a mobile-friendly format.

  • What are the options for water supply in a new subdivision?

    The options for water supply in a new subdivision depend on the location and if a municipal water supply is available in the area. The Guide to Well Permits has a section about wells in subdivisions.

  • Can an SWSP be approved for permanent operation?

    No, SWSPs are all approved for a limited duration. They must be renewed.

  • What is a call for water?

    See the Beginners Guide to Colorado Water Administration.

  • Questions about Map Viewer or GIS Data?

    See the Map Viewer and GIS FAQs document here.

  • What is well metering?

    Well Metering is typically for large capacity irrigation or commercial wells, not single-family residential wells. Well use & measurement rules in certain basins require some wells to have a well meter (Flow measurement device or a power conversion coefficient value) installed and verified by a certified well tester. To learn more about wether a well requires a meter, please see the specific well permit. Also, see topics, Well Permits - New or Changes and Records Research / Find a well permit

  • How do I submit an application for an SWSP and what is the fee?

    Information on the SWSP submittal process and fees can be found here.

  • How do I search for well permits and obtain a copy of my well permit?

    You can search for well permits and obtain a copy using the Well Permit Search Tool here. For additional information on using the Well Permit Search Tool, see the Permit Search Tool User Guide here

  • How do I submit an application for a well permit and what is the fee?

    You can learn how to submit an application and the fee amount here.